Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Road to Victory - Sneak Peek!


CHAPTER ONE
Kim

Two years ago(ish)...

About a week ago my best friend Danielle called to tell me she’d met her dream man. The same dream man who’d just blown up girls’ night. Needless to say, I was still trying to decide how I felt about Danielle’s new guy, Austin ‘Booker’ Carver.
Danielle Carver had been my best friend for well past ten years. She was the only person on earth who knew everything about me...and I mean everything. Her family had bailed me out of more situations than I could count, and never once made me feel less than any of them.
The night started off great. Dani and I were throwing back margaritas and relaxing until a couple of Class A douchebags slithered up to our table and refused to leave us alone. This prompted Booker and his biker buddy Mack to “rescue” us. It would have been nice if they’d just removed the douchebags and let us get back to our girl-time, but Booker had to pull the badass card and bust up our night.
Which now left me seated beside the tall, built, blond piece of deliciousness, Logan ‘Mack’ Powell, in his very well-equipped BMW, on my way home. I didn’t realize bikers owned anything other than Harleys. Of course, I also didn’t realize they wore Armani suits (which Mack was certainly rocking), so perhaps my idea of a biker was incorrect.
I knew Mack...sort of. He occasionally came into the bar where I worked, to grab a bite to eat or talk to my boss. I’d never had a conversation with him, just a smile from afar. He was gorgeous, yes, but totally not my type. Don’t get me wrong, I was all over tall and built, but I usually preferred my studs dark-haired.
“How pissed is Booker?” I asked Mack as we drove.
“He’s more concerned than pissed,” Mack offered.
“He looked way more pissed than concerned,” I countered.
“Babe, your girl’s in good hands with my brother. He won’t hurt her.”
“He better not,” I said. “She’s fragile.”
“And he’s protective.”
“What about you?”
He grinned. “I’m protective as well.”
“Yeah, I kind of picked up on that.” I laughed. “But that’s not what I meant.”
“I’m neither pissed nor concerned.”
“Well, that’s good to know, I guess.”
We pulled up at a red light and he asked, “You wanna grab a drink somewhere?”
“I was just doing that with Dani,” I pointed out. “You and Booker kind of blew that up.”
He nodded. “True, but I figured since I interrupted your night, we could go somewhere else...a little more fun than the places we work.”
“As gorgeous as you are, Mack, I’m thinking the two of us wouldn’t be a good idea.”
“Whoa babe, you’re rushin’ things a bit, huh?”
I snorted out a chuckle at his joke.
The light turned green and Mack grinned as we moved ahead. “What I’m suggestin’ has nothin’ to do with sex.”
“Hmm,” I murmured as I cocked my head. “You have me intrigued.”
Mack chuckled. “Trust me, babe, I know how to entertain, even platonically.”
“Yeah? Prove it.”
Within minutes, Mack pulled up in front of a non-descript building with an old west feel (leading me to believe he wasn’t planning on taking ‘no’ for an answer). He took my hand and guided me to the entrance and into...a honky-tonk. I shook my head and frowned over at him. “You’re joking.”
“Trust me.”
“No way.”
He grinned. “Seriously, trust me.”
“Ohmigod,” I groaned. “I hate country.”
He chuckled and greeted the bouncer who waved us through without collecting the cover. We slipped through the darkened room and I grasped for his hand, as if it could protect me from the grating jingle of auto-tuned country music, which was far too loud for my liking. On the dance floor, men in barely-scuffed cowboy boots and giant pristine hats who’d probably never seen a horse, let alone ridden one, danced with dressed-to-the nines women, their hair in various stages of height.
I wrinkled my nose as Mack pushed open a door marked private, and tugged me into a large VIP-looking room. A bar sat along the back wall, the outer walls had intimate booths, some barely big enough for two, others large enough to seat ten, and there was a dance floor in the middle. No one was dancing. Once the door was closed behind us, the music from the club ceased to exist and I let out a breath of relief. I noticed a jukebox over by the bar, and there was music playing (not as loud as in the main bar), but it was rock. Rock-n-roll I could handle.
A lot of seriously gorgeous man meat were in attendance and, most in vests and jeans, milled around the room. Some were deep in conversation while smoking and drinking, others were in booths playing poker or making out with the few women who were there. I smiled at the calmer atmosphere. Now, this was my kind of crew.
“Mack!” a grating, female voice shrieked.
I cringed internally as a faker-than-fake blonde woman rushed up to Mack.
“What the hell’s she doin’ here?” Mack grumbled under his breath.
She threw herself against him and I tugged my hand from his so I wouldn’t get caught in the fray.
“Hey, Tiff,” he said, setting her away from him as quickly as he could. “Meet Kim.”
I hid a smile at her expression of surprise. “Hey,” I said.
“Hey.” She schooled her features and smiled...a bit like a shark.
“Come meet my brothers,” Mack said, and took my hand again, circumventing Tiff, and headed toward the tables.
A man with well-worn cowboy boots met my eyes as we approached and my stomach flip-flopped. God, he was gorgeous. Tall, really tall. Probably six-and-a-half feet. Delicious. I was tall, six feet or more, depending on the heel, but it was hard to find a man who matched my height and who wasn’t a stick. This gorgeous piece of ass was built perfectly.
His slow smile indicated I may have stared a little too long, but I didn’t really care as I smiled back. Mack was cute and all, but this man...he was someone I could have some real fun with...provided he quit looking into my soul. That was a little disconcerting.
“Hey, Knight. Are you to blame for that?” Mack nodded to Tiff.
Knight shook his head. “No. No one’ll claim her.”
“She’s like a cockroach.”
“Harsh,” I said with a frown.
“No, babe, not harsh enough.”
I couldn’t imagine what this woman could have possibly done to deserve this kind of treatment, but in the same breath, if she was regarded so lowly, why the hell would she hang around?
“Knight,” the gorgeous man said, reaching out his hand, effectively interrupting my musing.
“Kim,” I replied, shaking it.
“That’s good enough.” Mack pulled my hand from Knight’s and I rolled my eyes.
Irritation crossed Knight’s face, but not for long and the next hour or so was spent laughing, drinking, and dare I say, dancing (Knight and one other guy, Flea I think his name was, danced with me, but Mack refused). It was a blast...well, it was until Mack got a call from Booker and my night was blown up...again.
“Babe, we need to go,” Mack said, ominously.
I frowned. “What, why?”
“Got an issue.”
“Everything okay?” I asked.
“You got a key to Dani’s place?”
“Um, yes, why?”
“We need to go and pack her a bag. She’s gonna be staying with Booker for a bit.”
I grabbed his arm. “What’s going on, Mack?”
“Problem?” Knight asked from behind me. So close, in fact, if I’d stepped back, I would have bumped into him.
“Dani’s gonna stay with Booker for a while,” Mack said (to Knight, not me, jerk).
Knight frowned. “Shit, seriously?”
“What is going on?” I snapped.
“How about I take Kim where she needs to go?” Knight offered. “You take Booker’s back.”
“You okay with that?” Mack asked me.
“Am I okay with what?”
“Going with Knight. We just said that,” Mack said, sounding irked.
Now I was pissed. “Oh, right, sorry. Obviously I didn’t understand the question the first time because you’re speaking as though I’m not here!”
Mack gave me a quirky smile. “Right, so it’s all good.”
“Jackass,” I hissed under my breath.
“I’ll text you the info,” Mack said to Knight, clearly ignoring me again, and walked away.
Knight smiled at me. “Ready?”
I forced myself not to curse as I followed him out of the club. He opened the passenger door to a beat up old pickup truck and I slid inside, surprisingly comforted by the smell of horses. I had competed in several English equestrian events since I was four, and currently owned an Arabian gelding. My life could only have been described as tumultuous and horses had been my refuge and, on occasion, my savior. The smell instantly calmed me as Knight climbed into the driver’s seat and started the engine.
“Are you going to tell me what’s going on?” I asked.
“Waitin’ on Booker or Mack to tell me, sugar.”
“Right,” I conceded. “I’m surprised you don’t have a bike.”
He smiled. “I do, but outside of the fact it’s too wet to ride, I had a group class out at a dairy farm, so needed to bring more than the bike could carry.”
“Group class?”
He nodded, pulling out of the parking lot. “I’m in vet school.”
“Oh, wow. Really? That’s cool.”
“Yeah?”
I nodded. “I ride horses. I compete with my Arabian.”
“Great horses.”
“Definitely. I’d never own anything other than an Arabian now. He’s the best.”
“Where am I taking you?” he asked.
I gave him the address for Dani’s apartment and we headed toward the freeway.
“You ride English?” he asked.
I smiled. “How’d you guess?”
He smiled. “Shot in the dark.”
“Do you ride?”
“All my life,” he said.
“Let me guess, you’re some kind of cowboy.” I nodded toward his feet. “I can tell by your boots.”
“Nah, although, I’ve rustled some cattle in my day,” he said. “I ride mostly Western, but I’ve been known to put a horse through dressage or jumping exercises every now and then.”
“Really? That surprises me.”
“It doesn’t matter what tack you put on a horse, they should all be able to respond to your commands and move between both disciplines.”
“I guess that’s true. Although, if you tried to put a Western saddle on my Arabian, he might kick you.”
Knight laughed. “Sounds like he’s perfect for you.”
“Because he’s ornery?”
“Did I say that?” he asked in mock offense.
I smiled. Tall, dark, handsome, and funny. I was in trouble.
Despite my nervousness from not knowing what was going on, Knight put me at ease and I was a little calmer when we arrived. He followed me upstairs and into the apartment, closing the door behind us.
“So, Booker said I’m supposed to pack her a bag?” I asked. “Any idea why or for how long?”
“No...let me find out.” He sent off a text, and then we stood in the entryway, waiting. His phone buzzed. He studied it for a moment before saying, “Booker needs you to pack enough clothes and shit for a week or so.”
“What’s going on?” I asked...again.
“Honestly, I don’t know all of it, but Booker’s trying to keep her safe.”
I studied him. “If you knew anything, would you tell me?”
He sighed. “Probably not, sugar.”
Him calling me sugar sent a thrill up my spine, but I ignored it and crossed my arms. “Well, since I don’t know you, I’m not handing over a bag of my best friend’s stuff. So, how about you get on that phone and find out why the hell I’m doing this.”
Knight smiled, but I could tell he was trying not to. He pulled out his phone and put it to his ear. “Hey, brother. Kim wants to know why she’s packing a bag for Dani. Yep, refusing to do it until I fill her in.” He chuckled. “Yeah.” He quickly sobered. “No shit? Okay. I’ll let her know. ’Bye.”
I bit my lip. His expression raised my blood pressure slightly.
“Some guy named Steven has offered her up for some kind of ransom.”
I gasped. “Steven…as in her ex, Steven?”
Knight shrugged. “That’s all I know.”
“It has to be. That fucking, piece of shit!”
“Booker’s keeping her at his place so he can make sure she’s safe.”
“Well, yeah, that’s the right answer,” I ground out. “I’ll be quick.”
I couldn’t believe Dani’s ex had resurfaced. Asshole. I moved through her room, packing things I knew she’d need, then headed to the kitchen and grabbed a couple of bottles of her favorite wine. I had a feeling she’d need them.
Knight carried the stuff down to the truck while I made sure everything in her apartment was locked up and turned off.
* * *
Knight
Unable to get the gorgeous brunette off his mind, Knight had bugged Dani for information on her best friend. He knew going to Booker or Mack would raise questions, and in the end, get him nowhere, so Dani was his best bet and she didn’t disappoint.
One week after meeting Kim, Knight walked into her bar. He’d never been there before, but the call of the pretty and feisty waitress couldn’t be ignored. Damn, she was gorgeous, not to mention funny as hell, and protective of her friend...all qualities he felt important. He just wished she wasn’t off-limits. The Dogs code wasn’t one easily bent or broken and since Mack saw her first, he had to discard her before Knight would even have a shot. He smiled when he saw her set drinks on a table by the bar. She might be off-limits in the romantic sense, but a platonic relationship would work...for now.
She caught his eye and her smile widened. He gave her a chin lift and headed to an open stool at the bar.
“What can I get you, handsome?” someone asked, pulling Knight’s focus from Kim.
He turned his smile toward the pretty red-headed bartender waiting for his order. “Jack, neat.”
“You got it.” She grabbed a glass and a bottle of Jack Daniels, giving him a little more than a pour. “Six bucks,” she said with a wink. He dropped a ten on the bar and she beamed when he refused change. “Thanks, honey.”
He tipped his glass toward her and then sipped.
A gentle hand landed on his back. “Hey, Knight.”
He turned to face Kim with a smile. “Hey, sugar.”
“What are you doing here? Is everything okay with Dani?”
“You’d probably know more than me,” he admitted.
“Oh, good, ’cause I just talked to her.” Kim relaxed. “You scared me a little.”
“Sorry about that.”
“So, if Dani’s good, what are you doing here?”
He grinned. “I’m here, ’cause you’re here.”
“Oh, yeah?” she said. “Trying to steal me away?”
Knight chuckled. “From Mack, yeah, from here, no. You’re too good for Blush.”
“FYI, Mack doesn’t have me, so I can’t be stolen from him, and I personally think the servers at Blush are really good.”
Their ability to sling drinks wasn’t really what he was referring to, but she didn’t need to know that. “I’ll tell Booker you said so.”
“Miss!” someone called and Kim grimaced.
“I better get back to work,” she said, but she seemed reluctant to leave him.
“I’m gonna finish my drink and do the same. I’ll find you when I’m ready to go.”
“Sounds good.” Kim squeezed his arm and then headed back into the fray.


* * *
Kim
Six months later...

I smiled at Train as he allowed me entrance into Blush. Gorgeous, tatted, but very, very young, Train was a recruit for the Dogs of Fire Motorcycle Club and I adored him. He was huge (hence his nickname) and gruff which scared most people, but he looked out for me and I loved him for it. Blush was the most exclusive club in downtown Portland, owned by the Dogs and run by Mack and Booker.
Ever since meeting Mack, I’d been inducted into the Dogs family, and Mack had assumed the role of big brother...annoyingly so. The club might not be outlaw, but they protected their women like they were (to the point of irritation sometimes), and that meant he cramped my style far more than I liked. Of course, the bro code meant I wasn’t free to date anyone within the club unless Mack gave the specific okay, but I rolled with it. There was only one man I was interested in, and in some ways, Mack’s off-limits edict worked to protect me from inevitable heartache should he relax his “protection order.”
Tonight, however, neither Booker nor Mack were working, so technically I shouldn’t be here, but I needed a distraction. I’d been dealing with some strange phone calls of late, along with notes and gifts left on my car at work. I’d asked Mack and Knight about them (in passing) and neither of them knew anything about it, so I dropped it, but now the gifts were getting weird and starting to freak me out. Sexy lingerie, sensual oils and such, and sex toys were left in obvious places for me to find. It was creepy.
Maybe getting laid would help me relax and take my mind off things for a bit.
This thought brought me to Knight and whether or not he’d be here. Now that’s a man who’d be able to take my mind off everything.
His presence was a crapshoot, but I knew he’d had some group vet class out in Salem today, so he probably wouldn’t be back until way late. Fine by me since I wanted to have a little fun, and if he (and/or Mack or Booker) were working, that would be greatly squashed. Partly because he was also protective, but mostly because I’d be distracted with how much I wanted him in my bed instead of whomever I chose tonight.
Knight was young, five years younger than me, and we would never work, but damn it if it wasn’t his face I saw when I came...either with my vibrator or a random cock. In fact, it had gotten so bad; the only way I could come was to imagine him there. I hadn’t slept with anyone in months. Every man was compared to Knight and they never measured up. Pathetic.
Tonight that was going to change, however. At least, I hoped it would.
I pushed my way through the crowd and slid up to the bar. Cricket was pouring and I grinned as I climbed onto a stool. The pretty blonde was relatively new to the club...her brother was a newly patched Dog and they’d just moved from the San Diego chapter.
“Hey Kim,” Cricket said, setting a margarita in front of me.
“Hey.” I sipped my drink and sighed. I loved that I didn’t even need to ask and it was always perfect. “Thanks.”
“No problem.”
I handed her my credit card to start a tab and took another sip. “Busier than normal, huh?”
“Fuckin’ conference. It’s douchebag central tonight. Watch yourself...wedding rings are off.”
“Oh, I love cheaters,” I droned sarcastically.
Cricket nodded. “I’m messin’ with ’em. Don’t tell Mack.”
I giggled. “Secret’s safe with me.”
Cricket checked her phone and gave me a sympathetic look. “Speak of the Devil…Mack wants you in his office.”
“What the hell?” I choked on a sip. “He’s not supposed to be here.”
“Yeah, there was an issue, so he had to come in. Sorry, hon.”
“I’ll just sit here for a bit.”
“Your funeral.” Cricket smiled and left me to help a group of men at the other end of the bar. She returned a few minutes later and handed me a bottled water. “Hydrate.”
I giggled. “Don’t talk to me like you know me.”
She chuckled and grabbed her phone again. “Second request from Mack.”
“I don’t care.”
“He just sent a girl home and she looked happy. If she’s happy, he must be happy,” Cricket said. “Maybe he’ll loosen the reins a bit?”
Mack loved sex almost as much as I did...however, he slept with far more women than I did men. There had been moments in the past when I wondered what it would be like to partake and see if he was as good as his discarded women swore, but sleeping with Mack would probably screw up my chances of bedding the man I actually wanted.
“Not likely,” I grumbled. “He and I apparently need to have another conversation about boundaries.”
“Good luck with that.”
“Thanks.” I sipped my drink as Cricket did her job and I tried to avoid the inevitable.
I was given enough time to finish my margarita and take two sips of water before Pug shoved a guy away from me and smiled. Pug’s nickname fit him perfectly because he looked like a pug. He was bald and tatted pretty much everywhere (that I could see) and like most dogs, it would probably take a good neutering to get his aggression issues under control. “Mack wants you.”
“I heard.”
“You gonna come now?”
I scowled. “No.”
“Babe, don’t fuckin’ do that, yeah?” Pug ground out. “I don’t have time for you asserting your independence right now.”
“Piss off, Pug.”
“Kim, seriously.”
I let out a frustrated groan and slid off my stool. There was no point in arguing, I had no power here and I’d just drive myself crazy trying to dispute the great and powerful Mack. I squared my shoulders and headed toward Mack’s office at the back of the club.
Flea stood sentry, but smiled as I approached and leaned down to kiss my cheek. “Hey, gorgeous,” he said.
“Hey.”
He didn’t say anything else as he pushed open the door and let me walk through. I heard the door close behind me and glanced back, grateful Pug didn’t follow.
As I walked down the hall, Mack stepped out of his office, crossed his arms, and frowned. “Why are you here alone, Kimmie?”
“I’m not alone. You’re here.”
“Fuck me.” He dropped his head back with a frustrated sigh.
“No thanks,” I said, brightly.
“Babe, I get that you’re independent and shit but tonight is the worst fuckin’ night to be here alone.”
“Why?”
“You’re seriously asking me that?” he snapped.
I waved my hand dismissively. “Club business, whatever. Outside of your forced protection of me, I have no ties to the Club, Mack, so I’m a free agent.”
“That’s total bullshit.” Mack scowled. “So, I’m gonna ask you again. Why the hell are you here when you knew I wasn’t scheduled?”
My resolve crumbled a little, but I needed this! I needed to forget, even if meeting a random guy in a bar wasn’t the best method. I think I might have chosen Blush because I knew I’d be protected. I sighed. Now I was psychoanalyzing myself...maybe Dr. Grace’s sessions were helping.
“Kim—”
“Mack, I love you. You know I do, but you can’t tell me what I can and cannot do,” I said. “If someone tried to tell you who you could screw, how would you react?”
“That’s different.”
I scowled. “Screw you, Mack.”
He glared at me. “Kim, you’re fuckin’ out of control, babe.”
“Because I love sex?” I snapped.
“You don’t love sex, Kimmie, you just wanna piss me off.”
I threw my arms up in the air. “Are you serious with this shit? Forget it. I’ll leave.”
“I’ll have someone walk you to your car.” His smug expression made me want to smack him.
“I took a cab.”
“I’ll have Pug drive you.”
“Don’t bother,” I said as I stalked out of the office and back down the hall. I stormed past Flea and detoured onto the dance floor, then toward the bar. If I was being forced home, I was goin’ home drunk.
I slid up to the bar and Cricket handed me my credit card. “He cut you off, hon.”
“Son of a bitch!”
Cricket grimaced. “Sorry.”
“You alone?” a deep voice asked from behind me.
I turned, seeing he was kind of cute in a tight-ass, businessman kind of way, and smiled. “Yeah.”
“Buy you a drink, beautiful?”
I bit my lip, then nodded. “I would love a drink.”
Before he could order, Pug sat on the stool beside me and shook his head.
“Seriously?” I hissed.
“Walk away, man,” Pug ordered.
My admirer did exactly what Pug told him to do and stupid me (after Pug walked away), I accepted another offer for a drink. Pug showed up again and the man walked away.
Damn Mack and his interfering. “Call him off, Pug,” I snapped.
“Not gonna happen,” Pug said, and gave me a smug smile.
“You’re such a dick, you know that?”
“Yep.” He crossed his arms. “Come on, I’ll get you a cab.”
“I’m going to hit the little girls’ room first.”
“Knock yourself out.”
I scowled at him and headed to the bathroom, pissed that my night had been totally ruined. As I dried my hands, my phone buzzed, and I sighed. It was Knight. “Hey.”
“Hey, sugar. You okay?”
I put on a fake smile and said, “Yep. What’s up?”
“Just checkin’ in.”
“Really? Did Mack call you?”
“Pleadin’ the fifth, sug.”
“Well, I’m leaving, so y’all can relax.”
“We’re keepin’ you safe, Kimmie, you get that right?”
I bit back frustrated tears. I don’t know why I expected him to be different that the others, but I wished he’d have a little more faith in my ability to keep myself safe. “Whatever.”
“Want me to swing by and pick you up? We can go get a bite.”
“No, I’m going to grab a cab and head home.”
“You sure?”
“Yep.”
“I’ll call you tomorrow.”
“Okay, honey.” My voice was sweet, but I was secretly flipping him off in my mind. “’Bye.”
I hung up and slipped out of the bathroom. Pug was talking with a cute girl who obviously wanted free drinks, so I used the distraction to head outside. I was quite capable of calling for a cab without him breathing down my neck. As I stepped onto the sidewalk, I heard my name and followed the sound.
“Kim! Hey!”
I frowned when I didn’t recognize the guy waving at me.
He caught up to me and smiled. “Hey.”
“Hi,” I said. Now that he was closer he seemed faintly familiar, but I couldn’t place him. He was about an inch shorter than me, blond hair and hazel eyes, nothing really to write home about, but cute.
“Brian Combes,” he provided. “I worked for your father four years ago.”
My father owned the largest (and most prestigious) law firm in Portland...Oregon, truth be told. He was a fifth generation attorney and had expected me to follow in his footsteps, but after I found out about his multiple affairs, I decided I was going to do whatever the hell I wanted and he could go screw himself.
I was so disgusted, and wasn’t entirely sure who I was angrier at...him because he was a pig, or my mother who turned a blind eye to his roaming. Unfortunately, I was not so brave to completely cut them out of my life. They had a way of making my life a living hell, so I played the game when it was necessary...like parties and such.
Recognition dawned. “Right, weren’t you a junior associate? I met you at a holiday party the year you got hired.”
“Good memory.” He smiled. “I can’t believe I saw you on the side of the street. Small world.”
“Indeed.”
He took my arm. “Can I give you a ride somewhere?”
“No, I’m good. Thanks.” I tried to pull away, but he gripped me harder.
“I’d really like you to let me go,” I ordered, but I felt a prick in my arm and gasped. “Ouch. Did you just…pinch me?”
“Must have been my pin. Here, let me help you,” he said.
Pin? The word blended together in my mind and I stumbled. “What the...?”
He dragged me into the alleyway behind the bar and sneered as he slammed me against the wall. “Hey!” I squeaked.
“You don’t even know who I am, do you?”
“Brian…Combes,” I slurred.
“That’s not what I’m talking about.” His hand grasped my throat and I couldn’t breathe. “Fuckin’ bitch.”
He squeezed harder and I scratched at his arms, the adrenaline forcing a little of the haziness away, but my arms still felt like rubber flailing in water. Clothing ripped and something hard was between my legs, pressing against me. I cried out but he squeezed my throat harder with one hand and grabbed my breast with the other. Pain registered somewhere in the back of my mind as the cool night air told me I was now naked from the waist down.
Then suddenly, Brian was yanked away. With nothing to hold me up, I slid down the wall, crumbling to the to the cold cement ground. Then everything went black.
* * *
Knight
Thirty minutes earlier...

“How far out are you?” Mack asked.
“Just got home. You need me?”
“Kim’s here.”
“So?” Knight asked, wondering what the issue was. Mack was obviously there too. “Is there a problem?”
“I don’t know what’s up with her, but she’s flirtin’ with every douchebag who looks her direction.”
Knight sighed. Dani had told him Kim sometimes spiraled and went looking for trouble, but he hadn’t seen that side of her yet. Apparently now it was time. “Shit, seriously?”
“It’s like she keeps cuttin’ her finger and dunkin’ it in the shark tank. They’re continually circlin’ her.”
Blush was a favorite for escorts and johns, and as long as their activities didn’t draw negative attention for the Dogs, Mack and Booker allowed them to do business. It was the wrong place for a good girl to be looking for attention, however.
“I’ll call her,” Knight said.
“Good. I’m shuttin’ her the fuck down, so she’s gonna be pissed at me.”
“Fine.” Knight put on his jacket and stepped into his boots. “I’ll be there soon.”
“Okay.”
Mack hung up and Knight called Kim. Mack was right, she didn’t sound right. After he rang off with her, he headed to Blush. He needed to get a handle on Kim. There was definitely something deeper than friendship between them and he wanted to explore it, but the timing wasn’t right yet. So for now, he needed to find out why she was so damn destructive. Her life seemed perfect. She had money, came from a good family, and had lots of friends who cared about her, so why the hell was she spiraling out of control?
He parked his bike and threw his helmet in one of the saddlebags. As he rushed inside, he saw movement in the alley and heard a woman’s whimper. Wondering what the call-girl had gotten herself into, he veered off to investigate, stalling. It wasn’t a whore, it was Kim.
Knight saw a man shorter than Kim, pushing her against the wall and he forced down rage at the visual of another man touching his woman, however, ice infused his veins when the asshole slammed her head against the brick. Fabric tore as the man ripped off Kim’s dress.
“What the fuck are you doing?” Knight bellowed.
With his heart in his throat, he made a run for Kim, praying he’d get to her before any damage was done. Reaching the assailant, Knight yanked him back, distracting him enough to stop beatin’ on Kim, but she appeared to be totally out. Knight grabbed the guy by the back of the neck and slammed him face first to the concrete. “You fuckin’ stay down or you’re eatin’ the curb,” he threatened, although, it didn’t matter, the guy was out cold.
“Knight, man!” Flea called.
“What the fuck did you do to her?” Knight shouted. He grabbed the guy by the back of the neck and slammed him face first to the concrete. He wanted to do a hell of a lot more, but the piece of shit couldn’t even take the first hit. Regardless, he gave the asshole a kick to the gut.
“Knight, man!” Flea called.
“Gimme a sec,” Knight shouted. He didn’t want anyone to see Kim with her ass hanging out, so he took off his jacket and laid it over her. “Okay, I’m good.” He checked Kim’s vitals as Flea approached. “Get that guy in the basement. I’ll get Kim.”
“You got it,” Flea said.
While Flea took care of the trash, Knight tried to wake Kim.

Pre-Order Links

 

No comments:

Post a Comment