Sunday, March 29, 2015

Road to Redemption - Sneak Peek!




 Payton


I STOOD STARING at the copious amounts of wine choices in the downtown Portland Safeway store. My best friend Macey and I had been invited to a Dogs of Fire compound get together tonight by Danielle Carver who was a relatively new friend and married to one of the officers in the club.
Funnily enough, she was a kindergarten teacher in the same school district I worked for. Different enough schools where we hadn’t run into each other, but we had quite a bit in common and I loved our occasional ‘solve the problems of the world’ conversations in regards to children.
Her husband was not at all who you’d expect Dani to be married to, but when you met him, you also weren’t surprised. Austin ‘Booker’ Carver was gorgeous, sweet, and wholly devoted to his wife. She’d been kidnapped a few months ago, and he’d rained down hell on the people who did it and I liked that.
Macey had a man like that and my sister-in-law had my brother, who was totally a man like that, so I figured there was hope for me somewhere in the world. If it started with meeting a few sexy bikers, I wasn’t going to complain.
“Daddy!”
I was pulled from my thoughts by the sound of a little girl’s voice and thought nothing of it until she appeared at the end of the wine aisle, her blonde hair pulled into uneven pigtails and tears streaming down her face.
“Daddy!” she called out, sobbing.
I rushed to her immediately, dropping my basket and purse as I knelt in front of her. “Hi, sweetie. Did you lose your dad?”
She nodded, her lower lip out in a cute but pathetic little pout.
“What’s your daddy’s name?” I asked.
“Daddy.”
I forced myself not to giggle, because this little girl was unbelievably adorable, from her leather vest with pink flowers on it, right down to her little motorcycle boots. “Okay. What’s your name?”
“Wiwy.”
“Lily?” At her nod, I smiled. “That’s such a pretty name.”
“Fank you.”
“Okay, honey, let’s see if we can find your daddy.” I grabbed my purse, left the basket where it lay, and stood. Lily slipped her tiny little hand in mine like she’d known me forever, and we started to walk the aisles.
It wasn’t long before I heard a deep voice calling her name, so we followed the sound. We turned down the coffee aisle and Lily tugged her hand out of mine and made a run for the best looking man I’d ever seen. Seriously. Ever. Tall and muscular with sandy blond hair and a handlebar moustache that rivaled Sam Elliott’s in pretty much every movie he’d ever made… except Roadhouse where he had more of a beard, but still the handlebar moustache is imprinted on those of us who love him, so you still saw that moustache even when it wasn’t really there. Yeah, he was sexy like that.
“Daddy!”
The man faced her and after a fleeting look of frustration and anger, his face melted into one of unconditional love as he bent down and scooped her into his arms. “Lily! I told you not to run off like that.”
She wrapped her tiny arms around his neck and kissed his cheek. “I sowwy daddy.”
Holy cow, this little girl knew how to work her cuteness. I was transfixed momentarily and turned to walk away when he caught my eye.
“You found her?” he asked.
I smiled. “She found me, actually.”
“Yeah, she does that.” He gave his daughter a squeeze and then offered me a slow smile. “Thanks for helping her.”
My heart raced and I was sure my panties were fighting to stay on as I nodded. “No problem. Okay, well, I should go.”
“’Bye, babe,” he said, his voice low and sexy.
“’Bye,” I squeaked, and continued to stand there.
He chuckled and it brought me back to my body. “You got somewhere to be?” he asked.
I didn’t answer. Just turned on my heel and made a rush for the wine aisle again, deciding I’d bring one to the party and buy another six to try to forget my inability to form a coherent sentence.
Never… and I mean, never… had this happened to me. Not even when public speaking. I was a teacher and used to addressing crowds. People, no matter their age, didn’t scare me. I liked people. They fascinated me. It’s why I chose teaching. Impacting the lives of young people while watching them grow into useful members of society made me feel happy and fulfilled. It gave me purpose, and I believe it had given me a confidence no other job could have. I also had parents, not to mention siblings, who loved me. Nurtured me. Teased me mercilessly, but had my back and protected me always. Especially my brother, Brock.
But in that moment, none of my training or love or confidence was of any use. In a matter of seconds, I’d turned into a blithering idiot because of a man. Gah! I couldn’t hate myself more if I’d stripped naked and offered myself to him in the middle of the store.
Grabbing the wine, I hightailed it out of the store and into my car as fast as I could. I was comforted by the fact that since I didn’t live here, ergo didn’t typically shop at the Safeway in downtown Portland, it meant there was little to no chance of running into him again, and I was grateful for small mercies.
Macey and I used to be roommates, but I moved out just before she married Dallas. Coincidentally, Dani and Booker lived in the same building, so we would all be going to the club together. I’d known Booker insomuch as we knew each other’s names and chatted while getting the mail, but until he’d met and married Dani, I’d never really had a conversation with him. All I knew was that he was the hot guy in 8C.
After I’d moved out of the apartment, I moved back to Vancouver to live with my parents. It was supposed to be temporary, but I kind of liked coming home to my parents every night. Sometimes Mom even had dinner waiting. Sure as hell beat living in an apartment all by myself with no one but the walls to talk to, and as long as I followed the house rules (which were now pretty nonexistent now that I was an adult) and texted regularly so Mom knew I wasn’t dead on the side of the road kind of thing, it was an ideal situation. Especially since they charged me a ridiculously low amount of rent and I essentially had the basement to myself, provided I save. So I did. A lot. Who knew having no overhead meant I could save over a grand a month?
Arriving at my old building, I used Macey’s code to the parking garage and slid into her extra space. Dallas was an FBI agent, along with my brother, and they were on an all-nighter, so we were going to the party and then I was going to stay at her place.
Grabbing the wine, I rode the elevator to the lobby and checked in with the guard before being given clearance to head on up to my old place. One of the best things about the building is the safety… and the million dollar view of the water. Oh, how I missed that view.
I had a key to the apartment but it was for emergencies, so I rang the doorbell and waited for Macey to answer. My phone buzzed and I glanced down to see a text from her.
*Use your key*
I rolled my eyes and dug my keys out and let myself in. “Hey,” I called.
“Bedroom,” Macey called back.
I locked up, set everything on the sofa, and headed to the master bedroom where I found Macey standing in front of the mirror wearing jeans and a bra and holding a shirt to her chest. “What do you think?”
“What are you going for?” I asked.
She turned to me and shrugged. “I’m married to a badass law man, so I’m taken and you better not mess with me or my man will fuck you up?”
Macey could only be described as stunning. Long auburn hair, light blue eyes, and a body to die for, she was sweet and caring as well as beautiful. Her career as a nurse provided a flexible schedule for the most part, which is why she was able to join me tonight.
I laughed. “I take it Dallas said something similar before he left?”
Macey sighed. “Pretty much.”
“I think you should wear your Jason Maxx T-shirt. Then no one will bug you.”
She giggled. “Bikers don’t listen to country?”
“I have no freakin’ clue, but I’d venture a guess if they did, they sure as hell wouldn’t listen to him.”
“I don’t know why I’m even making an effort. I’m happy to stay home with wine and a movie.”
“But I need my wingman tonight.” I grinned. “What did Dallas say on the subject?”
“A lot,” she said. “But he likes Booker and I guess they had a conversation about making sure everyone knew I was off-limits.”
“He didn’t!”
“Ohmigod, he so did.” Macey opened a dresser drawer and pulled out her Jason Maxx T-shirt, pulling it over her head. “He also said something about me texting him every thirty minutes with an update of how I was.”
“He’s ridiculous.”
“Unbelievably,” she agreed with a grin. “Which is why—” Before she could finish her thought her phone pealed and she glanced at the screen. “Speak of the devil. Hi, baby.” She smiled at me. “Yep, she’s here. We’re meeting Dani in twenty minutes. Uh… yeah. Sure. Dallas, no. You’re an idiot. I love you, but you’re an idiot.” Macey gave me her ‘I might kill him’ look and took a deep breath. “Honey, I’ll be with Payton, Dani, and Booker. I’ll be fine. No. No, baby. Every thirty minutes is unrealistic. Well, then you text me every thirty minutes and let me know you’re okay, and I’ll respond,” she snapped. “Why yes you are kind of pissing me off, Mr. Stone.” She turned away from me, but not before I caught her blush.
I left her to her conversation and headed to the kitchen. Opening the fridge I grabbed a pop and sipped, my thoughts turning to the hottie in the store. Silly, but for whatever reason, I couldn’t get him off my mind.
“Sorry, Pay.” Macey dragged me from my thoughts as she strolled into the kitchen.
I smiled. “No worries. All good with Dallas?”
“Yes.” She giggled. “But he’s still ridiculous. I see you grabbed wine. Did you stop at Freddie’s?”
I shook my head. “No, I went to Safeway down here.”
“And?”
“And what?”
Macey grinned. “I feel like you’re holding back.”
I sighed. “I just kind of met the hottest guy on the planet.”
“Shut up.” She sat at one of the bar stools. “Tell me… details, missy. None of your vague, two-word answers.”
“Don’t get too excited, Mase. He’s obviously married. His little girl got lost in the store and I helped her find him.” I groaned. “Why are all the good ones taken?”
Macey wrinkled her nose. “Oooh, sorry, buddy. That sucks.”
“Totally sucks.”
“Well, maybe you’ll meet someone better tonight.”
“I’m not sure skuzzy biker guy’s my thing, Mase. But maybe I can find someone to get a little freaky with.”
“Ohmigod, Payton. Don’t say that out loud tonight!”
I grinned. “Why can’t I just have fun once? One time, Mase.”
She raised her hands in surrender. “Honey, if you want to make a quick change on who you are and have a one night stand, go for it. I will even hold you while you cry because you’re not a whore and your attempt to be one, just once, didn’t work out.”
I let out a dramatic sigh. “I wish I had absolutely no morals whatsoever.”
“Says the woman who made Brendon wait six months just to cop a feel.”
She had me there. “Well, one day maybe I’ll find a guy that believes the same things I do, but I highly doubt it’ll be at a motorcycle club get-together.”
Macey smiled. “Yeah, you’re probably right.”
The doorbell rang and Macey checked the peephole before pulling open the door to Dani who looked adorable in her classy biker look. She wore dark jeans, knee-high motorcycle boots and a tight T-shirt with a Harley and their logo across the bust.
“Hey,” Macey said. “I thought we were meeting you.”
Dani nodded and hugged her. “Austin got stuck at the club and I’m hoping I can grab a ride with you so he doesn’t have to drive all the way back to get me.”
I grinned as Macey closed the door. “The more the merrier,” I said. “I’ll drive.”
“Awesome. Thanks,” Dani said, and pulled out her phone. She sent a quick text and then slipped her phone back in her pocket.
“We’re ready,” Macey said. “Should we go now or wait and be fashionably late?”
Dani chuckled. “Now works. People arrive at all hours, but I’m pretty sure most of the crew is already there.”
I grabbed my keys and purse and we headed down to the garage and, with the stereo blasting, made our way to the compound.


UNDER DANI’S DIRECTION, I pulled into the hidden entrance of Big Ernie’s Body Shop at the back, up to the sky high double gates, where she leaned out of the backseat window and entered a code into a keypad before the gates allowed us entry.
“This is only the third or fourth time I’ve come this way,” Dani admitted.
“Oh?” I asked. “How do you normally get in?”
“The front, like normal people.” She giggled. “But Austin won’t let me go that way without him anymore. Says it’s safer to come this way for whatever reason.”
“I can’t imagine many folks know this way even exists,” I said, and pulled into a parking lot filled with trucks and bikes.
“Probably not. It’s only for the super secret members,” Dani said, and laughed again. “I’m just waiting to see if they have a handshake I’m going to have to learn.”
“Maybe we should make our own up and make them learn it,” Macey retorted.
“Chest bump included?” I asked.
“And risk every man in the place getting a hard-on,” Dani said. “Probably want to skip the chest bump.”
We dissolved into giggles as I parked my car and we piled out. Dani led us toward the large brick building, but before we reached it, the back door opened and Booker strolled out, reaching us and pulling Dani in for an intimate and passionate kiss. I had to look away or I was sure I’d combust… or need a few minutes alone with my battery operated boyfriend.
“Hey baby,” he said.
She chuckled. “Hey yourself. I take it you’ve been watching the monitors?”
He raised an eyebrow. “That would border on stalking, baby. I would never do that.”
“Hmm-mm, sure.” She grinned up at him. “Have you told everyone to be on their best behavior?”
Booker smiled at me and Macey. “You ladies are safe in our presence. The bathroom has even been scrubbed by a particularly eager club who—”
Austin,” Dani warned.
“Sorry,” he said. “Young woman.”
I laughed. “Wow, the red carpet treatment. I like it.”
“Come on in and get out of the cold.”
Booker hung back so we could walk in ahead of him and I followed Dani and Macey inside. We walked through a professional kitchen that was well-equipped with the biggest appliances I’d ever seen… the fridge alone could probably hold enough food to feed a hundred people for a month. We dropped off the wine with a few of the women inside and, after quick introductions, Dani started the tour.
We entered a large common room already packed with biker men and women. The space was filled with sofas, overstuffed chairs, a pool table, large flat-screen television, several smaller tables that children gathered around for board games, and three outdoor picnic tables, where people were already sitting down and eating.
“Dani, Dani, Dani!” a little girl squealed and ran to Dani who scooped her up and gave her a hug. The little girl wrapped her arms around her neck and squeezed.
I was momentarily stunned as I recognized the little girl, but it wasn’t until I saw the man walking towards us that my breath left my body. I blindly reached for Macey who was standing slightly behind me.
“You okay, Pay?” She grasped my hand, even as I continued to stare at the man from the supermarket.
The man’s slow smile as he reached us had me squeezing my legs together. “Hey.”
He wore jeans that were obviously made for him, a long-sleeved black thermal shirt and a leather vest with several patches on it. He was delicious.
I swallowed, nodded, and forced a smile. “Hi,” I squeaked.
“You know Hawk?” Dani asked as she set Lily back on her feet.
I shook my head. “Uh… no, not really.”
“Lily found her in the store,” he explained as he continued to study me. “And she kindly found me.”
Dani giggled. “You might want to consider a leash.”
“A fuckin’ short one,” Hawk retorted.
I held my hand out. “I’m Payton.”
He took my hand and gave it a squeeze. “Hawk.”
Lily patted my leg and I glanced down at her as I pulled my hand from Hawk’s.
“You were in the stowa,” she said.
I smiled and hunkered down in front of her. “I was at the store.”
“You’re so pwetty.”
I giggled. “Thank you, sweetie. So are you.”
“Daddy thinks you pwetty too.”
“Lily,” he said with a groan.
I smiled. “I’m sure he thinks your mom is too.”
She frowned. “I don’t have a mommy.”
“Okay, trouble, it’s time you go play with your friends,” Hawk said, and picked her up, heading toward the kitchen.
“For the record,” Dani said after he was out of earshot. “Hawk’s totally single. And his real name’s Alex James.”
Alex. Sexy. It suited him. For whatever reason, I had a hard time wrapping my mind around ‘Hawk.’ Alex seemed more fitting somehow.
“Babe,” Booker warned. “Don’t.”
“You are not the boss of me, Austin Carver,” she said, and patted his cheek with her hand.
“Fuck me,” he said.
“Later,” she promised, and focused back on me. “You let me know if you want me to set anything up.”
“Um, no,” I stressed. “No interference from anyone, thank you very much.”
“Got it, babe?” Booker asked.
“I got it, honey,” Dani said, and then smiled back at me. “But you let me know if you change your mind.”
“I won’t.”
She winked. “We’ll see.”
I rolled my eyes. “I could do with some wine. Anyone else?” Macey squeezed my hand and I released my hold on her. “Sorry.”
“I didn’t need that hand, hon. It’s all good.” She giggled and pulled me to a stop. “So that’s the guy?”
I nodded.
“He’s apparently single.”
I nodded again.
“And super, super hot.”
I bit my lip and nodded. Macey grinned. “I’m all about Payton… remember that.”
I let out the breath I didn’t realize I’d been holding. “Thank you.”
* * *
Hawk
Hawk settled Lily in the playroom and nodded to Ellie who was watching the kids along with another young club whore… he didn’t know her name. Didn’t really care to. All he knew was she was good with kids. He stepped out and almost ran into Booker. “What?”
“She’s not a whore.”
Hawk scowled. “I know she’s not a whore.”
Booker crossed his arms. “Probably isn’t into your warped kind of sex either.”
“Fuck off, Booker.”
“Her brother’s FBI, her best friend’s husband is FBI.” He raised an eyebrow. “She’s protected.”
“Fuck. Off.”
Booker smirked. “Just so we’re clear.”
Hawk scowled again. “Fuck you.”
Booker nodded. “We’re clear.”
He walked away and Hawk stood in the hallway for a few minutes in an effort to stamp down his irritation. The truth was Booker had picked up on something Hawk wasn’t ready to admit just yet. This woman… Payton… fuck, gorgeous name to go right along with the gorgeous woman… she was under his skin. Two encounters and the woman was already under his skin.
Fuck!
He dragged his hands through his hair and walked back toward the common room. As he passed through the kitchen, one of the newer hangers on, Laurel he believed, gave him an open smile. “Hey, Hawk.”
“Hey, babe,” he said.
“You wanna have a little fun?” she purred, laying her hand on his arm.
Hawk forced his irritation down again. For the first time in years, he wasn’t interested in a little fun. At least, in a little fun with anyone but Payton. Fuck!
He smiled and pulled his arm away. “Not tonight, babe, yeah?”
Laurel appeared crestfallen. “You let me know if you change your mind.”
He nodded and joined the rest of the group.
* * *
I stood with Macey, Dani, and a couple of other women, and surreptitiously watched Alex out of the corner of my eye. Good lord, the man was pretty… and popular. A particularly skanky woman was draped all over him and it was all I could do not to punch her in the throat. I bit my lip. What the hell was wrong with me? I didn’t know this man. Didn’t have any rights to him.
“Pay?” Macey squeezed my arm. “You okay?”
“Hmm?”
“You okay?”
“Oh… ah, yep.” I nodded. “I’m good.”
She studied me before giving me her ‘we’ll talk later’ look. I formed what I hoped was a sincere smile and focused back on the conversation at hand. I couldn’t focus for long, as Alex walked toward us, his face impassive, but his eyes alit with something I couldn’t pinpoint. But it was sexy as hell, possessive beyond comprehension, and I felt it all the way through me.
I licked my lips and Alex gave me a slow smile.
Damn it! I must look away. I must look away.
I didn’t look away.
As he walked past us, he gently took my arm and, like a rat to the Pied Piper, I followed him. Macey watched us leave, but thankfully, she didn’t object.
Alex led me outside, his hand still grasping my arm, before pushing me up against the brick of the building and covering my mouth with his. I was so unprepared for the gentleness of the assault, I dropped my wine in an effort to grab his waist to stay upright.
As his tongue slipped inside my mouth, I sighed, leaning against his hand on my cheek. God the man could kiss!
His other hand was at my waist and holding me against him, but when it slid up to my breast, it brought me to my senses and I pushed against his chest and broke the kiss. “Alex. Don’t.”
“Fuck me,” he whispered, and dropped his forehead to mine. “I thought this would work.”
“What?”
“Kissing you.”
I frowned. “I don’t understand.”
“I know,” he said, his arm wrapping around my back. “I thought I’d get you out of my head, but I just want more.”
He kissed me again, but this time I was prepared and forced my mouth away from his. “We can’t do this.”
“Why the fuck not?” he challenged, his face inches from mine.
“Um, gee, I don’t know. Maybe because we don’t know each other.”
“Babe, you’re fuckin’ hot and I know you think I am, so what the hell’s stopping you?”
I took a deep breath and fought back a few choice swear words. “Please let me go.”
“What the fuck?”
I shoved at his chest again. “You heard me. I’d like to go back inside.”
“Babe, don’t play hard to get.”
I gasped. “Oh my god, Alex, I’m not playing hard to get. I really am hard to get. Let me go!”
He released me immediately and stepped back. I turned to go, but he caught my arm again. “This isn’t over Payton.”
“I beg to differ.”
He chuckled. “You call me Alex, you kiss me like that, and you look the way you do? Babe, I’m puttin’ you on notice. This isn’t fuckin’ over.”
I couldn’t stop the shiver that ran up my spine, but I squared my shoulders and pulled away from his touch. “And I’m putting you on notice, Alex James. I’m not some whore that will melt at the sight of your pretty face, or the sound of your sexy voice. I own my own mind and I don’t fold easily. I’m also unlisted and I know for a fact, there isn’t anyone in that room currently who either knows where I live, or would tell you. So good luck with your pursuits, sir, but you’re going to get nowhere pretty damn fast.”
He laughed.
Laughed!
“Fuck me, you’re hot,” he said, and pushed me against the wall again.
“What are you doing now?” I demanded, and yet, I went with it. I couldn’t seem to help myself. I wanted him to possess me… so much for having my own mind.
He grinned. “I need to explain somethin’ to you, baby. You challenging me only makes me want you more—”
“Well, I have no intention of not challenging you, so it looks like we might be at an impasse.”
“Shit, an impasse.” His grin widened. “That’s just gonna make this all the more fun.”
I blinked. “I’m afraid you’re going to be stuck playing with yourself on this one.”
He cupped my cheek, his thumb brushing along my jaw. “Gorgeous and funny. Baby, you’re just puttin’ the nail in your own coffin.”
“Lovely,” I retorted. “You’re planning on burying me?”
“The only thing I plan to bury is me inside you, so wrap your mind around that, Payton. You need a day to come to terms with that fact, then, I’ll give you the day. But I always get what I want.”
“As romantic and appealing as that sounds, handsome, you’re barking up the wrong tree. But you feel free to fantasize all you want. Day after tomorrow when you still can’t find me, you’ll figure it out.”
Alex lifted my chin, his smile softening from leering to sweet and sexy.
Well, crap!
“When I find you tomorrow, baby, you and I are going to have a very intense conversation before I share those fantasies with you. And as far as hard to get, I’ll be hard when I get you, but you’ll enjoy every minute of it.”
He leaned down and kissed me again. And I let him. There was no way he’d find me tomorrow so I might as well enjoy the hell out of this kiss. I’d kissed a lot of men in my time, and by far, this was the best. After a few seconds, I smiled against his lips and patted his chest. “You can kiss, Alex, I’ll give you that. Hope that holds you over for a while.”
“I think I can wait until tomorrow.”
I chuckled and smiled up at him. “You won’t find me, bub. You can’t.”
“Challenge accepted, beautiful.”
He leaned down to kiss me again, but this time, I stopped him. “I’m going back inside.”
Alex let me go and I walked back to the group. Macey and Dani were in the middle of heated debate about our favorite zombie show, while Booker watched with amusement at the varying opinions.
“Back me up, Pay,” Macey demanded. “Daryl?”
“Sexy as hell,” I said.
“Ew! No way,” Dani said. “He’s so… I don’t know… just, no.”
“What season are you on?” I asked.
“Just finished the first.”
I giggled. “Wait it out, Dani. You’ll see.”
“I think we’ll stop where we are,” Booker said.
Dani wrapped her arms around her husband’s waist. “Don’t worry, honey, I’ll never find anyone sexier than you.”
He slipped his hand to the back of her neck and kissed her temple, but didn’t comment. From the size of her grin, I figured they’d shared something secret.
“Um, can I confirm something with you?” I asked.
“Of course.” Dani frowned. “Everything okay?”
“You wouldn’t give my information to anyone, would you? Like my number or address?”
“No,” Booker said. “Didn’t matter who asked. You don’t want your info out, we won’t give it out.”
I nodded. “Thanks.”
“You got a problem with someone I need to take care of?”
“No. Thank you,” I rushed to say. “If you don’t share my information with anyone, there’ll be nothing to take care of.”
Booker looked at something over my head and I turned to see Alex watching us. I turned back toward Booker and forced myself not to smile in triumph.
“What have you done, missy?” Macey whispered.
“I haven’t done anything,” I whispered back. “That’s the point.”
She giggled. “Can’t wait to hear the story.”
“I’ll share everything on the way home.”
“Deal.” Macey raised an eyebrow. “Where’s your wine?”
“Hmm. Must have lost it somewhere.” I grinned.
“Well, let’s get you some more.”
“Lead the way,” I said, and Macey grinned and headed to the kitchen.
* * *
“Oh my god, Pay. He said all of that?” Macey asked as I drove home. We’d slipped out when Alex had put Lily to bed. The last thing I wanted him to see was which car I drove. He could trace me through my license plate if he had that ability.
“Yep.” I nodded. “Weird, right?”
“Um, no, not weird necessarily.”
“What?” I glanced at her when we stopped at a red light. “You’re not thinking this is romantic are you?”
She shrugged. “Oh, I don’t know. As long as he doesn’t cross the line between romance and creepy stalker dude, then yeah, it’s kind of romantic.”
“Who are you and what have you done with my best friend?”
Macey laughed. “Dallas has reformed me.”
“Remind me to hug him… or hit him next time I see him.”
“You got it,” she said. “So what are you going to do?”
“Nothing.” I drove through the green light and headed to Macey’s. “I don’t have to do anything, right? He can’t find me, so I’ll just see him if I go to another party, which I won’t for a while, by the way. So, it’s all good.”
Macey giggled. “Okay, honey.”
“What?”
“Nothing,” she said, overly sweet and innocent like. “I’m just going to sit back and watch the show.”
“I hate you so much right now.”
“I know. And let me tell you, I’m loving that.”
“Suck it, Mase.”
“I plan to… when Dallas gets home.”
Ew! Mase! Ew, ew, ew.”
She laughed and I pulled into the parking garage and into her extra space. I watched her as she continued to giggle, but she followed when I got out of the car, so I waited out her mirth which finally stopped once we’d walked into her apartment and poured wine.
The rest of the night was gratefully not on the subject of Alex ‘Hawk’ James.

No comments:

Post a Comment